Skip to main content

Snow in Springtime

I originally wanted a rainy day theme for March's vintage shoot but we got more snow this month than we did in December...
Welcome to springtime in Canada: where the weather's made up and the season doesn't matter.


This shoot compared to January's and February's was many times more difficult, and I had gone out on not one, not two, but three separate occasions to try to complete this set (weather was super uncooperative).  So it's safe to say this batch of photos did not come easy -- although in the end, I'm pretty happy with the results.  Hope you enjoy these photos!

Script Umbrella - BCBG

Princess Trench - Forever 21
Black block-heeled pumps - Aldo

Dress with leather trim - Danier
I had the idea for a rainy day theme fairly early on, but I didn't have a clue to any specific shots at all.  I knew that at least it had to feature 1) one of my (many) trench coats; 2) an umbrella (duh); and 3) this adorable blue cloche (that's what the little hat is called!) that I picked up at the vintage clothing show back in November.

"what is up with this weather??"

Cloche - Vintage
Leather Gloves - Coach
And I kept wracking my brain wondering why my mental image was still so blurry and uncertain.  Why, if I had such a clear concept in mind, was I having so much trouble picturing shots would look like?




This is going to sound like a kind of silly, super girly thing to say, but it all came together when I found the right dress.  It had completely escaped me that the missing piece could've been something like a dress because well, it's an outside concept, it would feature outwear, I could technically wear pajamas underneath and it wouldn't matter, right?  But somehow, this bright cobalt number with leather panels and trim made everything click into place.  It's the perfect length to add another layer under the skirt of my princess trench for a tiered effect, with just a sliver of the blue peeking through.


I've jokingly said before that while most photographers go out and find things to shoot, I seem to go out and buy things to shoot :P but hey, if I like it enough to buy it, why wouldn't I want to shoot it? ;)

time for my closeup :) 



The next Ottawa Vintage Clothing show is coming up in early April!  Already counting down the days (12 to go!) and keeping my fingers crossed to finding more awesome treasures for future shoots :P
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Post a Comment