Skip to main content

Victorian Bowler Hat

With the weather the way it is, I thought I had to wait at least until April (maybe even May if April is constantly rainy) to be able to do photoshoots.

But a number of things sort of just lined up together; the outfit that I happened to wear home from work, the too-big hat my mom had ordered online, and the weekend I chose to spend in Kingston.

I spotted the hat hanging on a coat rack in my mom's room.  When I asked her about it, she said it didn't fit too well so she hadn't really worn it.  Knowing my head is a little bigger than hers, I tried it on, and was instantly transported back in time.

With all the class of a Victorian gentleman, I swaggered my way downstairs and took up my rightful place on the throne- I mean, chair.

#swag
I swear I had this picture in my head long before this was taken -- it never ceases to make me so deliriously happy than to see on the camera what I've only seen before in my imagination.


The Kingston house (doesn't it sound so grand when I refer to it that way?) has the distinguishing trait of being intentionally decorated, as opposed to the Toronto house which is sort of a collection of everything we own.  I'm a strong advocate for a minimalistic lifestyle, which unfortunately is in direct conflict with my hoarding tendencies.

But I rather like the way my mom decorated the place.  I think she did a great job with these butterfly stickers artistically placed in an empty frame:

pretending to be part of the art

We actually attempted both of these shots (the chair and the frame) multiple times, but I just had such specific images in mind that I couldn't settle for anything less than exactly what I wanted.

A week prior, I bought a new watch from the Bay.  John once told me of a funny story of a dad who didn't realize that he was angling his wrist in all his photos in order to show off his watch.

Skagen watch ad

I tried to pose the same way as a joke but ended up liking the result, although the overall image is a bit dull being all grey (purposefully avoiding a 50 shades comment here).

That Saturday, we saw a lot of snow and tired ourselves out with what seemed like fruitless shovelling.  But, on the literal bright side, the sunny Sunday meant that the white wonderland outside lit up the whole house.

I pulled the heavy curtains to get these shots but see how the light still managed to shine through:

awkward pageant smile

let's just hide my face

These two photos really reminded me of the style from Chinese photoshoots; i.e. super brightly-lit and posed, with lots of fake flowers and costumes and props -- which is why I found it hilarious that this was just taken at home, wearing my own clothes.

If there is a moral to this story, I suppose it'd be that things always do get better (eventually).  The sun did come out "tomorrow", and look what happened when it did!

So stay positive my friends, and thanks for reading :)

Comments