Skip to main content

Photoshoot: White Umbrella and Pink Blossoms

My meeting with Mr Moth was actually quite critical in my photography journey.  I went home that and excitedly recounted the story to whoever would listen (sometimes more than once, but in my defense, the second time I had visual aids).  That was when I realized that in addition to taking photos, I love to tell the stories that go along with them.  And so the moth story really strengthened my desire to start a blog.

The next day, I had planned a photoshoot session with Carlie, who happened to be back from Waterloo that weekend.  Humbled by my encounter with Mr Moth, I told myself to try my best but not to expect too much too soon, especially since I had never photographed Carlie before.  It's always a little more daunting when you don't know what your model is going to be like, because they can really set the tone for the shoot.  Luckily for me, Carlie was very enthusiastic.  Not everyone is gifted with the model gene like Amanda, but I really appreciated how receptive Carlie was to my suggestions, and I left that day with approximately 100 or so shots from the short span of an hour.

Classic Carlie, so elegant yet casual

I really love showcasing each model's own unique style, and sure enough, my favourite shots of Carlie were the ones that captured her shyly smiling at the camera or looking away, which I think really highlighted her demure elegance.

Shy smile
My favourite shot :)

Peekaboo!

The real work came during the editing process at home.  There's always the conflict between "should I take more photos and have a lot to choose from" and "should I take less to lighten the workload later".  Previously, my process would be to edit everything first, then pick my favourites to go through another round of editing.  With such large volume of shots to go through, the "pick and choose" process inevitably came first.  I also in the past had the tendency to hoard pictures, even the ones that I didn't like and would never see the light of day, or multiple shots that look very similar.  Now, I'm a lot more heavy handed when it comes to deleting photos, especially since my hard drive is filling up. 

All in all, I had a great time and consider this photoshoot to be a successful one.  Not sure when Carlie will be back next but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her again!

Comments